For Experienced Police Officers or Former Members of a Police Service
If you love the job but want a lifestyle change for you and your family, then Tasmania Police could be for you.
The Tasmania Police Service is one of the smallest Police Services in Australia but we offer modern training, a partnership with the University of Tasmania for further tertiary education and we are now a service that incorporates the Tasmania Fire Service and SES.
Accelerated Training Program
An Accelerated Training Program is scheduled to commence:
- February 2019 – applications to be submitted by end of October 2018
- February 2021.
Selection for our courses generally take between 3 – 6 months to complete so if you are interested in this course you need to submit an expression of interest online.
The Accelerated Training Program is conducted at the Tasmania Police Academy, Rokeby, Tasmania.
To be eligible for the Tasmania Police Accelerated Training Program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Have completed two years or more post probation service as a police officer within Australia or New Zealand, be a current sworn member, or have been separated from an Australian or New Zealand Police Service for less than four years.
- A member whose separation exceeds four years and does not exceed six years is still eligible for the ATP, if they have maintained a related law enforcement role or similar, the application should be reviewed by the Commander, Education and Training to determine eligibility.
- Be either an Australian or New Zealand Citizen, or have permanent Australian residence status.
- Possess a current drivers licence.
- Possess, or have the ability to obtain, the qualification equivalent to the national ‘Provide First Aid’ standard (also known as Apply First Aid/Senior First Aid).
- Possess, or have the ability to obtain, swimming certification from Royal Life Saving Australia or AUSTSWIM.
- Have a satisfactory police service record and be of good character.
- Be physically fit and healthy.
- The compulsory retirement age for Tasmania Police is 65.
How do I apply?
To apply you must submit an expression of interest online and accurately reflect your service dates therein.
Tasmania Police Recruiting Services will facilitate the following assessments:
- Integrity/background checks will be performed to identify any criminal/traffic offences.
- Complaint history as a serving police officer will be conducted.
- Physical Fitness Testing.
- Written Job Suitability Testing.
- Interview before a Selection Board.
- Referee Checks.
Medical Checks are the responsibility of applicants to arrange (Tasmania Police Recruiting do not facilitate medical checks).
Upon successful completing the interview you will be given a Medical Package that you will be required to take to your General Practitioner (GP) to complete.
This package will assess your current health, as well as previous surgery and medical conditions.
As part of this medical assessment you will also need to have your hearing tested by an Audiologist, and your eyesight tested by an Optometrist.
The cost of medical checks is the responsibility of applicants.
The length of the Accelerated Training Program is twelve weeks in duration as determined by the Inspector, Recruit Training Services.
You will be provided instruction on Tasmanian legislation and Tasmania Police policy and procedures, information systems, firearms, operational safety tactics and physical training.
After successful completion of the training program, members will be posted to a 24-hour Police Station. These postings are determined by the Controlling Authority and will be in line with operational requirements at the time and attract a 21% loading on top of your base wage.
You will be subject to a six month probation period after graduation. Confirmation of appointment after probation will be subject to a satisfactory Probation Assessment Report from your District and endorsed by the Tasmania Police People and Culture Division.
Conditions of Employment – Salary and Rank
Members of Tasmania Police are required to serve in any geographical location according to organisational requirements.
- Rank is not transferrable, however at the completion of the six month probation period the officer may request that recognition of prior learning be considered in the promotional process.
- Whilst training at the Police Academy the salary paid is at the award rate of a Trainee Constable, details can be found here.
- In determining pay banding level the Controlling Authority will take into consideration the years of policing experience post-graduation within that previous/current jurisdiction recognising years of service to a maximum level of ten years.
For example: A police officer with five years’ experience post-graduation:
Trainee salary $49,835 as of 1 July 2018
Probation period – level 4 pay banding $65,217 as of 1 July 2018
Post Probation – level 5 pay banding $67,195 as of 1 July 2018
- At the completion of your probation period, a member may make application for salary advancement in recognition of approved tertiary qualifications in accordance with clause 8.5 – Annual Salary Increments of the Police Award.
Tasmania Police do not provide any relocation expenses or housing allowances.
Tasmania Police – Accelerated Training Program Policy
Tasmania Police have developed an Accelerated Training Program Policy which can be accessed by contacting Tasmania Police Recruiting
If you have any questions relating to the Accelerated Training Program please contact us.